Emergence of Ebey’s Landing
In the late ’70s, historian Reed Jarvis hatched a plan to preserve the natural and historic beauty of central Whidbey. In this short audio clip, Dr. Bill Woodward, emeritus professor of history at SPU, shares the story.
hosted by Bill Woodward
audio edited by Mason Brooks
audio produced by Tori McArthur and Hailey Ethan
A walk along the shores of Ebey’s Landing is part of the recreational and educational experience of the Reserve
on Commission purchased the strip of the lower bluffs to the right for park purposes. Perego’s bluff dominates the skyline and is used by hikers and hang glider enthusiasts.
The bluffs along Admirality Inlet possess an unspoiled character. Ebey’s Landing and Prairie are visible as the large depression in the center of the photo.
Keystone Harbor and Fort Casey State Park are used year round by hikers, boaters, fishermen, divers, and sightseers.
The false front buildings along Front Street in Coupeville have remained relatively unchanged since their construction.
The Captain Whidbey Inn on the shores of Penn Cove (ca. 1901) was constructed from native madrona logs. The Stone family, originally from Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, have made this one of the most popular inns in the northwest.
A vicinity plan for Ebey’s Landing
The Keystone “Olympic” ferry brings visitors to and from Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. The Fort Casey State Pa r k campground can be seen behind the ferry.
The abandoned Admirality Head lighthouse at Fort Casey State Park, a famous landmark, was restored by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission.
The historic town of Coupeville, overlooking Penn Cove, the county seat for Island County, still retains its 19th century charm.
·The Alexander Blockhouse in Coupeville was one of four built in 1855 and 1856 to protect the settlers from Indian attacks. The shed contains carved Indian canoes; the whit e structure to the right contains remnants of Father Francis Blanchet’s wooden c ross, raised by the local Skagit Indians in 1840.
Historic structures, such as this farm building on Ebey’s Landing Road, dot the Reserve.
The future of much of the farmland within the Reserve is uncertain